- SHOPPING ONLINE
The Villa Baselli, Strassoldo, is indicated on the old cadastral maps as “house of the Ronchi”, but it is more commonly known with the appellative ” The Bella Notte”. This name has been attributed after that one owner lost and regained, in a stormy night, the house and grounds playing them of hazard. There is also another version more libertine that narrates of a passioned gallant meeting of a Strassoldo with a young girl. But as always is in such situations, it is not clear where everything corresponds to truth and where popular imagination begins. The term “ronco” that points out the location of the villa, is reserved to the terraced lands. The terrace on which the building rises is formed by millenniums when the waters of the river Isonzo licked up the zone. According to historical studies, on the superior part of the ownership, appanage of the Strassoldo family, raised the castle of Farra, present already before 1000 d.c., as possession of the high prelates of Aquileia and then of the lords of Gorizia. In 1215 it was destroyed from earl Mainardo together with the near Roman bridge. The estate was purchased through deed of sale 22 April, 1695, from Zaccaria von Baselli. Seller was the countess Regina Elisabetta of Strassoldo, born baroness von Scharffenberg; the count Veith (Vito) of Strassoldo granted the approval as husband. The contract reserved the right to the buyer and its heirs for the districts of Farra, Grotta and Villanova placed in the possessions of the Strassoldos. From ownership was excluded a chapel in Villanova, a lmeadow belonged to the count Orfeo of Strassoldo and a building used as shooting box. The price of the deed sale was fixed in 7.100 florins. The Strassoldo – Villanova family was in Farra from 1377 when received the civil and criminal jurisdiction of the region from the patriarch of Aquileia Marquardo of Randek. This right was asserted till the French revolution, that marked the end of every privilege. During the Napoleonic epoch the Lords of Strassoldo of the branch of Villanova transferred to Gorizia. On the contrary the branch of Farra was extinguished with the death of the last exponent of his dinasty, Lord Phillip Antonio (1739-1813), who studied to the Germanic-Hungarian College in Rome and in 1762 it took holy orders. The villa is easily visible from the main street, direction Gradisca d’Isonzo. To reach it you need to cross a bridge above the channel built in 1529 on project of Francesco Diana, engineer from Venice, that, carrying water of the Isonzo river, it feeds the ditch of the fortress of Gradisca. Near the bridge was set in 1742, orderd from Nicolò Francesco de Baselli, a capital with the statue of St. Giovanni Napomuceno, the Saint also called “the waters’ S. Giovanni”. He was beheaded in 1383 from the king Venceslao, opponent of the Christian religion, and thrown in the waters of the Moldava river. Since this fact near the bridges you can see his protection effigy of all people that work on the rivers. In 1989 the statue and the image were restored and blessed by the archbishop Padre Antonio Vitale Bommarco, that celebrated a mass in the small church of the villa, reconsecrated from the l bishop of Trieste mons. Antonio Santin. As every ancient building also the villa Baselli is marked by a veil of mystery: Giuseppe Marcotti in his novel “Earl Lucio”, in which tells the terrible death of the countess Eleonora of Madrisio (Ungrispach) caused from her cousin Nicolò Earl of Strassoldo, named the villa as the residence of an ambiguous individual bad adviser of the Strassoldo, simply identified with the name of “Earl Trifone”. The present owner of the villa is Mrs Giuliana Guadagni.
Testo tratto dal libro:
1001 Gorizia 2001
Nobiltà della contea – Palazzi, castelli e ville a Gorizia, in Friuli e in Slovenia
di Giorgio Geromet e Renata Alberti
Edizioni della Laguna